Tuesday Ten is a quick 10-minute chat with leaders and up-and-comers in the world of sports in: media/broadcasting, business/marketing, social media and more. On this episode of Tuesday Ten, I was joined by Troy Kirby. Troy is a sports industry veteran, speaker and show host of the long-running podcast, The Tao of Sports. As a veteran of the industry, I have valued my Twitter conversations with Troy. I appreciate his perspective and knowledge. He has an ability to see through the clutter and bring forth a logical, reasoned thought to the discussion.
In fact, I had so many more questions for Troy that he was gracious enough to spend some EXTRA TIME discussing various aspects of the sports industry annnnnnnd a few other off-topics too. Both videos are below.
- 0:48 – Intro to Troy Kirby
- 3:31 – (Audience question) Using social media in promotional strategies (aka Social Media is NOT free)
- 6:29 – Potential changes with social media in the college sports landscape
- 8:46 – Shifting business strategy from sales to engagement (Article reference – Forbes)
- 12:03 – Audience comments
- 12:46 – How to connect with Troy
As I stated above, Troy and I went into overtime. 45 minutes to be exact. Since it is World Cup time, let’s call it EXTRA TIME. Here’s the video and show highlights from our extended conversation touching on all kinds of subjects. Call it an Extra Time Conversation.
- 1:08 – Positive, negative uses of social media, particularly in the college sports space
- 3:31 – Drive it back to the website, but use social media as a tool.
- 6:36 – With Troy set to record his 350th episode on June 18, I asked the question, why do a podcast?
- 11:45 – Picking up from Troy’s comments and discussing Twitter
- 12:42 – Be who you are!
- 14:23 – Social media conversation (identity, Twitter favoriting)
- 18:46 – Journalism in the days of social media
- 22:38 – Biggest challenges using social media, personally and/or professionally
- 24:51 – Who do you represent on social media? Are the opinions are my own caveats in bios a viable safety net?
- 28:18 – Local flavor. Working in Spokane. Soccer, disgraced politician, Vision Quest, WSU Cougars and more.
- 39:23 – Working at UC Davis
- 40:34 – Learning from a large or small sporting event
- 41:43 – Best way to learn
- 43:13 – The dog-eat-dog world of social media
You can also listen to the audio below:
Connect with Troy
- Website: http://sportstao.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/SportsTao
- LinkedIn: http://goo.gl/fXTmy9
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TaoOfSports
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/Taoofsports
Join me for the next Tuesday Ten, when I’ll be joined by a VERY SPECIAL GUEST. Who might that be?
That’s right. I will be taking YOUR questions. It’s not often that I do this. I’m not someone you will see as a guest on other shows. So, if there’s something you wanted to ask me, well, NOW is the time to do it. Almost anything goes in terms of questions so ask now or forever hold your peace.