SPORTS LINKS: A collection of links that you may have missed from around the sports landscape centering on social media, business, sponsorship and technology.
In Today’s Edition: Using social media for scholarship fundraising; the voice behind @Cubs; Brazil – most social; New Orleans tops vote; Bucks need new arena; Northwestern football’s sleep study; plus much more in social media, technology, business, media and sponsorship….and BEER!
“The University of California system, including UCLA, on Sept. 18 began a six-week social media campaign — Promise for Education — that aims to engage students, faculty, alumni, celebrities, businesses, politicians and supporters in a novel drive to raise money for UCLA and UC student scholarships.” –UCLA Newsroom
During research for today’s post, I came across the headline, “University of California launches social media campaign to raise scholarship funds”. Social media and sponsorship? I was intrigued. Naturally, I looked on Twitter first to see what I could find in terms of response or promotion.
If I raise $10,000, I promise to have a brown bag lunch with one student from each UC campus. Help me reach my goal. bit.ly/154rFpa—
Jerry Brown (@JerryBrownGov) September 18, 2013
Watsky (@gwatsky) September 18, 2013
UC Berkeley News (@UCBerkeleyNews) September 18, 2013
Darlene (@DCA40Poems) September 19, 2013
At first glance, it reminded me of those fundraising campaigns my or the neighborhood kids did in school. Think fun-run pledges. But, in a budget-crunched state like California, however, it makes sense to use social media to promote the cause. They’re taking advantage of the many eyes that are viewing social media. And, they have the backing of celebrities to assist them:
The campaign runs for six weeks, starting yesterday (Wednesday, September 18th). Money raised and a countdown clock can be tracked on www.promiseforeducation.org.
- Getting to know one of the “voices” of @Cubs, Kevin Saghy – Red Eye Chicago
- Another day, another family member takes to Twitter to vent – Fox Sports
- HootSuite’s Ryan Holmes on the most social country, Brazil – LinkedIn
- Video-gaming term in tweet lands rugby player in hot water – Wales Online
- Four more years for BNP Paribas, UK Lawn Tennis Association – Sports Pro Media (h/t @aescoto10)
- Sports Star Media, Cristiano Ronaldo and a new leasing venture in Dubai – Al Arabiya and Zawya.com
- LSU Volleyball beginning third year of “Friday Night Meal Deal” – LSU Sports
- No surprise! New Orleans voted tops worldwide vote for ‘excellence in sports tourism’ – SportsNola.com
- Milwaukee needs new NBA arena says incoming Commissioner Silver – BizJournals
- It’s all in how you sleep for Northwestern football stufy – NY Times
- “Trace action sports monitor achieves Kickstarter goal ” – Digital Trends
- Data collection integral to new sports “inventions and widgets” at Calgary’s OTP – Metronews
- Start-up, Krossover, aids coaches with recruiting technology – Business Week
- Building sponsorship foundation helps Banco Santander build global brand, presence – Sponsorship.com (h/t @jaredmelzer)
- NASCAR bids good-bye to Nationwide as series #2 sponsor but welcomes increased Cup presence – USA Today
- CBS Sports’ Tracy Wolfson on her work week, social media, and covering the big games – Orlando Sentinel
- Bleacher Report collects (selected) reactions to their own hires – Bleacher Report
A LITTLE SOMETHING EXTRA